Friday, May 11, 2012

Parlez-vous Français Mark Wahlberg?

My focus in genealogical research has been my wife Cece's paternal line, mainly because in her and our history together, we've known very little about it. Having never known her father, and nothing about his past, it seemed the logical place to start digging. And it's been, and will continue to be for a long time, and interesting voyage of discovery.

But occasionally, I look a little into her mother's line as well. Although they have all since died, she and I knew her mother, aunt, grandmother, great-aunt and several cousins, so the need to research further was not as strong. A quick Internet search revealed that Christina Siquaw, a cousin on Cece's maternal grandmother's side, has done a significant amount of research into the Siguaw/Sigouin/Seguin line. It goes back from the US into Canada and eventually to France.

So, in my effort to discover additional information, I did my usual name pair searches, and discovered a wealth of new (to me) information, tracing family roots well into late 1500s France. I'll be digesting and logging this newly discovered information into my own personal records. Some of it is in French, and I may be relying on language skills I haven't exercised in many years. Thank goodness for Google Translate.

One of the more interesting discoveries is that actor/singer Mark Wahlberg (and by extension, brother Donnie Wahlberg) are related to Cece though his mother's line, at least according to some genealogical research done by others. The common link is Joseph Sigouin, Cece's great-great-great grandfather, who happens to be Mark Wahlberg's great-great-great-great grandfather. That make them 4th cousins, once removed. I guess that means we can now call him just to gab on family matters.

No comments: