Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chapter 20. 1961 - Henry and Juliette

Henry gave himself a few minutes to calm down before going back into the house. Juliette was furiously scrubbing the kitchen counter. It was clear to him that she was in no mood for sweet talk.

“What just happened?” Henry began.

Juliette lashed out, “More and more you’re making it hard on I. For years you’ve been working with the band, but rarely spend any time with us. And if it’s not that, then you’re out in your workshop or you’re down at the Stomping Grounds, drinking. I’ve been left to raise him practically on my own.”

Henry started to protest, “But…”

Juliette reeled on him, “Don’t ‘but’ me. You know it’s true!”

Henry had not seen this side of Juliette before and was thoroughly confused.

Juliette continued, “I’ve been unhappy for the last two years. Just look at Buddy and Annette. Even with Buddy on the road so much, he still makes the extra effort to spend as much time as he can with the family.”

Juliette finally dealt the killing blow, “I’ve already spoken to my parents. I’m going to move back home for a while and I’m taking I with me. You can take some time to think about what’s important in your life while I’m gone.”

Henry was dumbstruck, but Juliette would not be swayed by apologies and excuses.



Henry slept that night on the sofa, and in the morning tried to reason with Juliette. “Maybe I haven’t been paying attention, but I’m bringing in good income, and we are in a much better state than we were after the fire.”

“After the fire was the best time of our life. You were loving, cared deeply for the baby, and even made special events from everyday occurrences. That’s the Henry I fell in love with, not the one I see before me now.”

“Don’t try to talk me out of it. I have to get away,” she concluded.

Henry could offer no more excuses, and watched as she gathered up the suitcase she had packed as well as a small one with I’s clothes.

“I’m not going to tell him right away why we’re going away, but I’ll be back to gather up more of my things. If I come back to you, there had better be some changes around here!” she threatened.

Juliette marched out with a confused I as Henry called out. “Don’t let the door hit you on the way out!” It didn’t help the situation, but he had to say something.

No comments: